It’s our favourite time of year, end of year Top Albums time!
Like 2017, we’re taking the same approach to 2018 – ranking our Top 100 Albums of the year, same rules apply…
- Release date of before December 1st, 2018
- Studio albums only
- Full Albums only
- It’s been reviewed on Alt Dialogue
This year, the last rule has scuppered us a little. Due to various reasons things slipped a little and we’ve missed reviewing some cracking albums. In no particular order, here’s the ones that slipped through the net (that otherwise would have featured high up the list)…
- Joy as an Act of Resistance by IDLES
- Surrender Yourself by Primitive Weapons
- Shiny and Oh So Bright by Smashing Pumpkins
- Full Circle by Colorist
- Let Pain Be Your Guide by Portrayal of Guilt
- Inchoate With The Light I Go by He Was Eaten By Owls
- Head Cage by Pig Destroyer
- Aurora by Slow Crush
As normal, we’ll do a Readers Poll. This year we’ll do it after we’ve published the full 100. But now onto the statistics behind the Top 100.
- In the Top 100, 49% are English & 35% are American. (A reversal of last year). Again, Canadian and Australian lead the way in the other non-European nationalities, while Scotland and France have 3 places each.
- Drilling down to the Top 20, 60% are English with the Americans dropping to 30%. Denmark and Canada have one place each.
- 4 acts were in 2014’s Top 50, two placing higher (both in the top 10).
- 8 acts were in 2015’s Top 50, with equal numbers placing higher and lower.
- 12 acts were in 2016’s Top 100, seven placing higher this time.
- 4 acts were in 2017’s Top 100, with 3 of those placing higher, all with their second albums
- The Top 100 see a massive 59 different labels and 7 self releases.
- Holy Roar has 8 acts in the Top 100, they’ve had a stellar year and would have featured more if we’d reviewed all their releases
- Looking at the Top 20, Holy Roar take up a relatively huge 25%, with Epitaph having 2 acts and an equal distribution for the remainder
- For the Top 100, February (15) and April (13) have the biggest share.
- Going to the Top 20 it’s all change with August drawing level with April on 4 each.
- It’s the return of the most useless stat… Bands starting with the letter D are the most heavily featured with 11. T & B come in joint second with 8 each. (Naturally the word ‘The’ is ignored).
Stay tuned for the first half of the Top 100 coming soon.
Album Review: Now by NYOS
Album Review: Circle The Gold by Endless Floods
Album Review: This Is Not The End by The Spielbergs
Album Review: The Language of Injury by Ithaca
Album Review: Autoscopy by Lighteater
Album Review: Astronoid by Astronoid
Album Review: Late Teens by Press Club
Album Review: The Last Words That You Said… by The Yacht Club
Album Review: Get Tragic by Blood Red Shoes
Album Review: The Goat by Puppy